Information for childminders who provide food as part of their service

Food safety is very important for childcare because children are a vulnerable group.  This means children can be more seriously affected by food poisoning and food allergy than some other groups of people.  This guidance is aimed solely at registered childminders in domestic premises and is not intended for nannies and home child carers or care operating from non-domestic premises such as nurseries, care homes and schools.

If you are planning to start up a childminding business that provides food as part of your childminding service you may need to register as a food business with your local authority, depending on the food services you provide.  The Legal Requirements for Registered Childminders in Domestic Premises Operating as a Food Business guidance should help you understand whether you need to register as a food business.

As a childminder, it is your responsibility to ensure that you can provide allergen information for the food you serve and that this is accurate, consistent and verifiable.  Further information on allergen legislation and advice can be found in Allergen Advice for Registered Childminders.  A Safer Food Better Business pack has been developed especially for childminders.