Guidance on exporting food and feed

Foodstuffs with current (EU) restrictions

Controls exist on certain foodstuffs from certain countries to protect public health. These may either specify conditions of import or suspend imports depending on the risk.

Consignments of controlled products can only be imported through designated Border Control Points. On presentation, documentary checks must be carried out in addition to sampling and analysis or examination. This increase in official controls take place prior to a consignment being cleared for import. Specific products are currently under harmonised controls in the EU that control their importation from specific non-EU countries. See a list of foodstuffs with current European Union (EU) restrictions.

Shellfish trading requirements 

Pectinidae (e.g. scallops), tunicates (e.g. sea squirts, sea cucumbers and sea urchins) and marine gastropods (e.g. winkles and whelks etc.) which are harvested and landed in Great Britain, are permitted to be traded without a Site Identification Number (SIN) code (previously called GBR code), as they are not filter feeders as specified in the relevant regulation.

All other live bivalve molluscs (LBMs) will need a SIN code.

Before they can be placed on the market for human consumption and be eligible for export health certification, they will require to have passed through one of the following types of approved premises – a fish auction, a dispatch centre or a processing establishment. See the Scottish list of approved food establishments.

The shellfish sector will be kept informed on any updates to requirements for completing their movement documents.

Exporting animal feed

Please the below links for additional information on animal feed exports from Great Britain.