Description of image

Local Authorities

We work closely with Local Authority enforcement officers to make sure food law is applied throughout the food chain.

EU Exit guidance

Food Standards Scotland works closely with Local Authority Officers to make sure feed and food law is applied throughout the food chain. We work in partnership with all 32 Local Authorities across Scotland to ensure that feed and food law is maintained and monitored in their area.

EU Exit

Read answers to commonly asked questions around EU Exit and guidance for business and industry.


We have published information and guidance on coronavirus and food, this includes answers to frequently asked questions as well as specific guidance for food businesses and their employees.

There is also specific information for local authorities about food package provision through the Food Fund during COVID-19.

Food and Feed Law

The Codes of Practice set out instructions and criteria to which the Local Authorities (Food and Feed Authorities) should refer to when engaged in the enforcement of food and feed law.

Scottish Food Enforcement Liaison Committee (SFELC) 

This was set up to co-ordinate food law enforcement, sampling and surveillance activities of Scottish local authorities and comprises representatives of central and local government, consumers and industry. SFELC produces advice and guidance for food safety enforcement staff and food businesses on a number of topics.

Multi-Annual National Control Plan (MANCP)

The MANCP for the UK details the roles and responsibilities of the different authorities and organisations involved in monitoring compliance with, and enforcement of, feed and food law, animal health and welfare rules and plant health requirements.

Official feed and food control laboratories

In the UK, official feed and food laboratories are Public and Agricultural Analysts and Food Examiners (microbiology laboratories) that undertake work for local authorities. Other designated laboratories undertake official controls in specified areas.

All official laboratories must employ staff who have qualifications defined by national legislation.  In addition, to be named an official control laboratory, laboratories must have a Public or Agricultural Analyst (formally appointed by a local authority) or a qualified Food Examiner.

FSS and the Food Standards Agency do not own or operate any of these laboratories, but they do work closely with the laboratory network on the development of sampling programmes and testing methods. FSA currently appoints the majority of official feed and food control laboratories in the UK according to the National Control Plan, as required by Regulation (EU) 2017/625. This includes the four Scientific Services laboratories in Scotland which are located in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee.

In this section

Local Authority Information & Guidance

Useful information published on our website that can be used by local authorities and business.