Need to eat more or less?
Eatwell Everyday includes plenty of starchy foods like potatoes, pasta, rice and bread plus five portions of fruit and vegetables each day, which will help to keep you from getting hungry. However, Eatwell Everyday was designed to meet the needs of an average woman, so it is likely that most men and some women will need to eat more than this, especially if they are physically active. Others may need to eat less than this.
How can I eat more and keep eating healthily?
Here are some simple ways to get the extra energy you need:
- Have more wholegrain, low sugar breakfast cereal.
- Have a bigger portion of the main meals like the curry, including extra pasta, rice or potatoes.
- Have extra fruit and have more vegetables with your meals.
- Increase the amount of fillings such as tuna in baked potatoes and sandwiches.
If you need to eat more, you may feel like you can have more high fat or sugar foods.
However, fruits and vegetables and plain starchy carbohydrates should form the biggest part of what you eat – with foods and drinks high in fats, salt and sugar only being consumed less often and in small amounts.
How can I eat less and keep eating healthily?
Here are some quick steps to help you eat less:
- Skip desserts, chocolate, biscuits, and crisps.
- Have either breakfast cereal or toast at breakfast – don’t have both.
- Have smaller portions at mealtimes – not only reduced amounts of potatoes, rice or pasta.