CfE Experiences and Outcomes
HWB 3-34a - Having explored a range of issues which may affect food choice, I can discuss how this could impact on the individual’s health.
HWB 3-36a - Using my knowledge of nutrition and current healthy eating advice, I can evaluate the information on food packaging, enabling me to make informed choices when preparing and cooking healthy dishes.
HWB 4-34a - Having explored a range of issues which may affect food choice, I can discuss how this could impact on the individual’s health.
Learning intentions / Success criteria
- We are learning about allergens and how they are shown on food labels.
- We are learning about which foods contain allergens.
- I can name and understand food allergens and the food groups they are linked to.
- I can describe how labelling highlights different allergens in foods.
- I can understand what to do if someone is affected by an allergen.
Lesson on allergens:
- bring in food packaging and try to identify the allergens
- what they are and how are they identified in the ingredients
- introduce labelling and how foods are labelled for allergens.
Research on foods that contain allergens
Using the allergen fact sheet research foods/meals in supermarkets, recipe books and on menus that contain each of the 14 allergens – discuss.
- Pupils discuss their own experiences of allergies.
- As a class discuss the responsibility of others with regards to allergens – do’s and don’ts.
- Pupils cook an allergen free recipe.
- Pupils to investigate recipes they eat that may have ingredients identified as allergens, then propose alternative ingredients for the recipe that are not allergens.
- Pupils design a food label to highlight an allergen in a product.
Art – design a food label
Cross contamination – awareness of using items that have come into contact with food related allergens
First aid – what to do if someone has an allergic reaction
SAY – identify all or most of the allergens
SAY – explain how allergens are highlighted on food labels
DO – design a food label with re-designed allergy information
Consider CfE Benchmarks, for example
- Evaluates information on food packaging and uses it to make informed choices when selecting food for given situations.
Use pictures of different food ingredients and match to allergens.
- Investigate other less common allergens in foods.
- Plan an allergen free menu of meals for a week.
- What action to take if someone takes a food related allergic reaction.