CfE Experiences and Outcomes
HWB 1-33a - I am becoming aware of how cleanliness, hygiene and safety can affect health and wellbeing and I apply this knowledge in my everyday routines such as taking care of my teeth.
HWB 2-33a - Having learned about cleanliness, hygiene and safety, I can apply these principles to my everyday routines, understanding their importance to health and wellbeing.
HWB 1-16a - I am learning to assess and manage risk, to protect myself and others, and to reduce the potential for harm when possible.
HWB 2-16a - I am learning to assess and manage risk, to protect myself and others, and to reduce the potential for harm when possible.
- Food Cards
- Storing Food Safely interactive game
- Storage pupil sheets
- Homelink sheet Food Hunt
- Teacher's notes on food safety
- Select appropriate food cards for use.
- Set up the interactive storage game on the whiteboard.
- Open with class discussion about different areas in the kitchen where food is kept using food cards as a visual prompt.
- Play the interactive storage resource - ask pupils to come up to the whiteboard to put the food away and talk as a class about why you store food in the fridge or the cupboard - temperature and bacteria growth.
- I-Spy game - pupils take it in turns to choose a storage area and think of a food item that would be stored there, saying “In my [e.g. fridge] I spy something beginning with …”, with other pupils taking turns at guessing the food item.
- Follow up sheet – pupils draw storage area with an example of a food item that might be stored there.
- Write some sentences under the picture explaining why the food is best stored in that area
Homelink – food hunt sheet
Give pupils the printed out sheet to look at home and draw/write a least 2 things that you find in a cupboard and a fridge.
SAY – Do pupils choose appropriate storage areas for given foods and give good reasons for choice?
Consider CfE Benchmarks, for example:
- Identifies where different types of food are stored.
Pupils use support sheet to complete sentences about storage.
Pupils can take their learning home, looking at where different foods are stored in their own kitchens.