Pupils explore the seasonality of foods and plan, prepare and cook a healthy meal using food currently in season.
This activity requires food cards. Contact us to find out more about how to get food cards for your school.
HWB 3-30a - By taking part in practical food activities and taking account of current healthy eating advice, I can prepare healthy foods to meet identified needs.
HWB 3-34a - Having explored a range of issues which may affect food choice, I can discuss how this could impact on the individual’s health.
HWB 3-15a - I am developing my understanding of the human body and can use this knowledge to maintain and improve my wellbeing and health.
- Show an understanding of seasonality and its impact on consumers.
- Suggest balanced meals taking account of seasonality.
- Food Cards*
- Four Seasons - pupil's sheet
- Large sheets of paper for poster
- Coloured markers
- Teacher's notes on making healtheir choices
**If your school does not have a set of Food Cards, please request them from us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Prepare pupil sheets
- Gather resources for pupils to make seasonality charts
Technologies – ICT to enhance learning
DO – In making the seasonality chart, do pupils place foods in correct seasons?
DO – Do posters show an understanding of the benefits of eating in season?
MAKE – Does the meal make use of food in season?
Consider CfE Bencharks, for example:
- Explain factors that could influence choice of food, for example media, poverty, peer pressure, seasonality...
- Explain to pupils the idea of 'seasonality' – a term to describe when certain foods are harvested and at their best flavour.
- Pupils research or use the backs of the given food cards to fill in the seasons pupil sheet, listing foods that are in season in Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter.
- Discuss with pupils why food can be better if it is eaten 'in season' locally – better flavour, freshness, reduced pollution coming from transporting foods from around the world, supporting local economy.
- Produce seasonality chart incorporated into a poster encouraging the eating of seasonal foods for display in local supermarket – if class has access to computers, pupils could use appropriate software to produce seasonality chart for the poster.
- Pupils are then challenged to plan, prepare and cook a healthy meal using food currently in season.
Pupils can be given recipes for meals which contain foods that are in season.
Internet/library research to add foods to the Seasons sheet that are not included in the food cards.