Curriculum for Excellence
HWB 1-33a - I am becoming aware of how cleanliness, hygiene and safety can affect health and wellbeing and I apply this knowledge in my everyday routines such as taking care of my teeth.
Learning intentions / Success criteria
- We are learning the importance of washing hands correctly.
- We are learning how easily different germs can spread.
- I can explain and show when to wash hands and how different germs can spread.
- Teacher's notes on food safety
- 3 x slices of bread and sealed bags
- Paper for posters
Warm up and introduction.
- Why do we need to wash our hands?
- How do germs spread around the school/house – use chalk experiment to show.
- Chalk/glitter/paint on children’s hands (different colours represent a different germ that has been touched).
- Pupils are then allowed 5 minutes to play or go about their usual routine in the classroom before everyone gathers back together to discuss the results.
Discussion of results of warm up
- Discuss what has happened to the chalk and how can we relate that to germs.
Introduce and then explain the bread experiment:
- 3 slices of bread put into sealed bags:
- 1 x control (untouched)
- 1 x passed around class (pupils unwashed hands)
- 1 x touched by pupils after washing their hands
- label each bag
- place in a cupboard and leave for 1 week
- discuss what pupils expect to happen to the 3 slices of bread
- revisit bread after one week and discuss what they thought would happen compared to what has happened.
One week later:
- focus on difference between pieces of bread and how different foods can be affected when hands are not washed correctly and how germs can be spread by unclean hands.
SAY – I can explain and show how and when to wash hands and how different germs can spread.
Consider CfE Benchmarks, for example:
- Explains the important of daily hygiene routines, for example, hand washing, teeth brushing and body cleanliness.
Science – change in bread
Literacy – listening and talking
Functional writing – writing facts of outbreak / poster design
Art – poster design
ICT – iPad / iMovie