Food Standards Scotland will:
- help protect the public from risks to health which may arise through the consumption of food; and
- advise on how what we eat will promote good health.
To deliver this, we have the following specific functions:
- to develop and help others develop policies on food and animal feed;
- to advise the Scottish Government, other authorities and the public on food and animal feed;
- to keep the Scottish public and users of animal feed advised to help them make informed decisions about food and feed stuffs; and
- to monitor the performance of food enforcement authorities.
We are defined in law as a ‘competent authority’ and an ‘enforcement authority’ to implement and monitor Scottish and EU food and feed regulations. We ensure that Scottish Ministers’ policy is fed into European Union policy making on the regulation of food and animal feed.