While the precautions small businesses take may not be as extensive as those taken by a larger business, even small businesses, at all stages of the food or feed chain, must take reasonable precautions to ensure that their produce meets food or feed safety requirements. Actions you can take may include the following:
- Use trusted sources of raw materials and ingredients
- Utilise assurance schemes
- Utilise food safety management standards
- Implement food safety management systems
- Gain local authority help
To help food businesses and others avoid and lessen threats to food and drink supply, the British Standards Institution has developed a guide.